Friday, February 8, 2013

Tutus and Training

So in a couple weeks (16 days to be exact) I'm going to be running a half-marathon. (Eeek!) First of all, I'm really excited. Second of all, "What the heck was I thinking?". This post is FAR more about the tutu and way less (as in really not at all about the training).

The excitement part comes from a couple of different things. One being that I get to run it with two friends from grad school. One I haven't seen since the beginning of football season, the other I haven't seen since the day we graduated from grad school (which was close to 3 years ago). Another reason to be excited? It's in Disney! It's the Disney Princess Half Marathon.

So where does the crafting come in? Well, it's a fairly common practice to dress up for the Disney Princess 1/2. Most of the ladies running in it dress as Belle, Mulan, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Tiana, Aurora, Snow White or any of the other Disney Princesses (sorry if I missed your favorite!).

While I've always loved Disney movies, I've never had a true favorite princess. I liked dolls and Barbies growing up but was kinda a tom-boy too. And my favorite dolls were American Girl Dolls...so I was kinda this geeky, sometimes girly, sometimes no where close to girly kid who liked Disney movies but didn't imagine myself as any of the Princesses. So I kept trying to decide which Princess do I want to be? Then I decided none. I was going to be my own princess. So I went to buy some tulle ($3 per spool) and elastic ($1). And realized which character my princess would be based off of from my color choice.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Disney Pixar's Monster's Inc. I ADORE Sulley and him and Mike make an awesome pair. So, my tutu is based off of Sulley.

I took the elastic band and wrapped it around my waist...if you do this I suggest measuring it so it's uncomfortably tight. All the tulle will stretch it out.

I then cut the tulle to (fairly) equal lengths. And then just looped it around the elastic. It is somewhat time consuming but really easy. I used 6 spools of tulle all together.

I also created a headband with a teal headband, purple fur and some grey card stock to make the horns. I'm going to using a fanny pack for emergency supplies, a camera and my phone. I plan to try to make the fanny pack look like Mike.

This is my friend Stefani (from my last post) and I together. We really wanted to have Stef join us on our running adventure (she's a grad school friend too) but she has a huge commitment with work every year during the same weekend as the race so she couldn't come...but to make up for that we made a tutu for her while she was here too!

Oh and the "What the heck was I thinking part?" comes every time I do a long run. :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment